September 10, 2009

More observations....



Great comments on my previous post. I thought I'd continue on with a new post and let the comments keep coming!!

While the state park is just down the road with real campers actually camping, we at the "camps" are still a camp. While far from camping, it's the spirit of community that makes it a "camp". As a child, I couldn't wait to head off to camp. For those few weeks or months, I felt a part of a community and hey, don't all camps have their traditions? Isn't that what makes a "camp"? Lakeside will always be "my" camp. While cell phones and laptops have moved in with us, perhaps stealing a bit of the old ways of communicating from the old campfires up and down the path, we still hand down those traditions, hopefully hear the old stories from our parents and grandparents and if we don't, it's a loss.

We talked about "renters" in the previous comments. It is a fact that's here to stay. As more and more cottage owners move towards renting, it introduces a challenge to all of us. Most folks that are renting are friends of or former Lakesiders themselves. It's not a bad thing! I speak from experience here! It's great to be able to come back and it's been interesting to experience "camp" from different vantage points. What was our little "tri-cottage" experience was home. I've found that at different points along the path, the experience changes. We have the "east enders", the "west end" group and everything else in the middle. Getting to know Libby as a neighbor was a great thing. What a nice spot and nice neighbor. Moving around has it's benefits. Even within camp there are little groups, unique unto themselves.

As for manners... I'm not talking Emily Post here. Not talking stuffy either. My grandparents were probably the most wild and crazy party animals I know! We sure learned how to have a good time! One more great thing handed down. When I speak of the erosion of manners, it's still about consideration and basic respect. In camp we skate around conversations regarding MONEY, POLITICS, and RELIGION. I know all of us were brought up that certain things just were not appropriate conversational topics. That is fine. We can touch on current events and all but, our own personal beliefs and positions are kept close and respected. That's ok. What about that gossip??? Well, it's just one of those things that happens and boy can a little story move quickly. It's a game in a way and as long as it isn't taking a direction of hurting someone, have at it!!!

Reading the Lakeside book isn't very practical. First, I think it's out of print. While interesting historically, I don't think it addresses the problems. A list of "rules" won't either. Taking a little time to be friendly with new renters/and old..would be nice. If someone walks into the dining hall with a baseball cap on I'm sure someone could find it in them to just point out that "we don't do that"? And, it is true that no one could possibly know all the little ins and outs without some kind of help. I still think each cottage could use a "How to enjoy Lakeside" booklet. Not just the renters. I agree that a cottage owner who chooses to rent their cottage is responsible for what goes on is appropriate but like someone pointed out..they aren't there. We are though. A little help might be appreciated? Maybe not. Hmmm.

Mary Alice and I have contemplated a children's book on etiquette. I still think it's needed but what parent wants to be told how to raise their children? Could be tricky. Could be done. We'll see.

What do you all think could help? Maybe everyone needs to read the good old standby.."Who Moved My Cheese?"... Change management. Perhaps it's just part of the "ways"? I'm pretty certain my grandmother said the same thing about my generation and my mother I know is talking about "what has happened to these kids"? Still, it would be nice to think we could cultivate a little interest in maintaining or improving our behaviour towards each other. Some people just simply won't be interested and probably feel "they" are not a problem. Ummmhmmm...That's ok. The better everyone else behaves, the more certain folks might stand out. Ok, this is how NOT to behave. A learning moment.

Am I turning into "Aunt Helen"? OMG! No, I just think preserving the beauty of "camp" is a good thing. That includes the beauty of kindness and respect towards others. Listening to a group having a rousing good cocktail on the porch is different than listening to a bunch of very young children screaming all afternoon on a porch. (Hey, I was trying to enjoy a quiet read). Perhaps they needed a little nap? Or, there is the horse block. I know I spent many a meal sitting out there with my little ones. I don't think I finished a meal for almost 6 years when my kids were little. Eat in shifts!! Just a suggestion. Any others???

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do agree with you on the behavior of the younger adults and children. You have to remember that some parents treat their offspring as "young adults" Not having to do things they don't want to do! They may work in their house but not in Lakeside. You are right it is not only the renters but 5th and 6th generation children. Times are changing and not always for the best.
Renters: most are very good but only takes one to ruin it for all. In the past, renting was for "friends of Lakside" now with the turn in the economy, any money is good money. With more cottages in financial troubles, MORE renters, bringing more problems. One cottage is already known as "Holiday Inn Lakside" I wonder what Betty Burrows would think of that?

Joey said...

Holiday Inn Lakeside.. I love it. Too true though..friends of or former Lakesiders aren't usually the problem.. I say usually since we've had a problem or two but..I can see what's coming. So can the others. Perhaps we can get a jump on it...???

Anonymous said...

Just have fun up there and abide by the rules and you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

"One cottage is already known as "Holiday Inn Lakside" I wonder what Betty Burrows would think of that?"

That's hysterical! You the cornwells?

Anonymous said...

To most families-- better to rent than face losing your cottage. The rental trend will definitely continue- as it has in Cottage Grove and Pinewoods also.

Good to exercise a little discrimination in whom one rents to though.

Anonymous said...

"In camp we skate around conversations regarding MONEY, POLITICS, and RELIGION."

Good advice. Too bad it is not practiced on this blog, as it related to politics.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! It has basically morphed into Lakeside's virtual Town Hall meeting center.

Just your under average blogger said...

To my anonymous commentor regarding the good advice on keeping politic, money and religion out to the everyday conversation in camp, yet is confused why it's not practiced here. This is not "camp" this is my blog and as such, I am free to post what I will, and you are free to comment, as you have.

Next question

Anonymous said...

Why are there no people of color up there?

Joey said...

The answer to that is probably one to be found in the history books. The ancestors who settled the place in 1875 or so were white. Since most every cottage was passed down, unless one of the white cottage owners married a person of "color", you just get a whole lot more white people. There has never been any prejudice shown that I'm aware of EXCEPT for possibly my uncle. My granddaughter is half black. It's too bad she won't get to become part of the cottage line. She loves it up there.

Anonymous said...

Joey- you are way too young looking to be a grandmother! Hard to believe.

Your granddaughter is precious!

Joey said...

Ahhhh, you flatter me. My granddaughter is precious. She came up north her first time when she was only a couple of months old. It was the pig roast weekend and we wrapped her up in a blanket, put her in the old wagon and when it started to rain, we pushed her under the table. It may just well be one of David's "reasons" he no longer wanted to "share" the cottage. If that was it, that is very, very sad.

Anonymous said...

"It may just well be one of David's "reasons" he no longer wanted to "share" the cottage. If that was it, that is very, very sad."

If that factored into Slymie's reasoning for escheating the cottage from you guys- then he is beyond pathetic.

Joey said...

From what I can determine, he has not shared his "reasons" only that he "had" them. Knowing what I do know about him, I can say that it probably was one of his reasons. I doubt he'd admit to it, but, his most important issue was that he did NOT want to share.

My brother is gay. Big hairy deal. I think that was another reason. Also, I don't think they liked having to clean up after themselves. They weren't real good about it anyway, but we always got a nasty gram if he found ANYTHING out of place. Did it ever really occur to us to call and let him know that we'd often find the coffee pot filthy with old filters and moldy coffee?? Or, the fridge in the back cottage moldy? Or, food left in the couch? No. It did not. We could have. We didn't.

Anonymous said...

Maybe he(Slymie) had a wet dream about your brother and couldn't bear to look at him again. I'm just sayin

Anonymous said...

If we had more Aunt Helens and Aunt Betty's, then I don't think we would have to worry to much about manners or renters. Of course if Aunt Betty was still with us, we wouldn't have the Holiday Inn Lakeside either. I agree that something needs to be done, but if the greatest generation is too worried about being the next Aunt Helen or Aunt Betty - then who and how are any of these rules to be enforced?

Joey said...

good point. great point. Bring on the Aunt Helens and Aunt Bettys..start talking folks....

Joey said...

good point. great point. Bring on the Aunt Helens and Aunt Bettys..start talking folks....