May 7, 2009

The ensuing events...

I need to point out that Stu and Kathi did send out an earlier email expressing their desire to sell, a decision they apparently had reached a year earlier but for reasons they choose not to share with any one, they waited until now. There was no mention of a price or value and I quote, "Since this is a family decision, and involves no one outside of our family, I would ask that consideration be given to not making this camp news"

Followed up a short time later with this email...

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Subject: Re: Cottage
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:18:46 +0000

In hindsight, I wish that I would have communicated our decision to sell our share last summer once the decision was made to do so; however, I thought one more summer...

This position has not changed, and while many, many memories and experiences remain with us, we felt that it was time to possibly pursue options, such as a place of our own, giving us the "freedom" to come and go as our schedules dictate.

A joint buy-out of our interest remains an option if all/someone steps forward. The recent appraisal seems fair based upon the facts presented.

Stu and Kathi

Which was followed up with this email...2 days later

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Subject: Re: Cottage
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:23:02 +0000

I will assume that by a lack of response that no one is interested in our share.

Mother responded with the following..

-------------- Original message --------------
Good morning Stu....

Be patient as these things take time. We haven't had an opportunity to sit down and discuss anything yet.

Hope all is well with all of you....

Aunt Jo

Here is mothers response to Davids demand to sell to him..

Subj: Cottage
Date: 9/12/2006 7:46:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: JLee913164
To: DCSymons

Dear Daivd,

I can't even begin to tell you how much this whole cottage thing has upset me. From the time you called me about the front door being painted to the next email, I have to say it's been hard to figure out what this is really about. I waited to hear about the ideas you said you and Carol had, but you never shared them with me. This seems to be about much more than four walls and some property.

I have spent 79 years at Lakeside, and my ties to this cottage are deep and meaningful. I have watched my children grow up here and we all have developed life long friends. This cottage was a gift from our parents; it was given to us to enjoy, to take care of, and to use for as long as we all could manage. We have, by and large, managed pretty well, however, as with any joint ownership there are those moments. Fortunately for us they have been few and minor. This is something to be proud of.

Stu and Kathi have indicated their desire to sell their ownership interest, and I am saddened to hear that. I understand that they wish to pursue other interests and I respect their decision; if and when that happens they will be missed.

For now I find it difficult to discuss this. I do believe there are other options available and I would be willing to sit down and talk about them. For example, a joint buy-out of Stu and Kathi's interest.

You asked for a response by the 13th of September as to whether your proposal is acceptable. As offered, it is not.

I will await your response.


Subject: Re: update
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:20:32 +0000

Thanks for the update; we appreciate it very much.

I was expecting an appraisal somewhere around $700,000 - $800,000, based on no real facts.

I expressed my concern regarding the contents as well.


Stu and Kathi

Dear Stu and Kathi,

I thought I would drop you a note to keep you updated on what we are doing concerning the cottage.

Let me explain why I did not agree to David's proposal. First, I felt the assessment was too low. Since then I have received some material that backs this up. Consequently we are going to have another assessment done. When that is done I'll give you all the information on it. Second, I strongly objected to his including all the contents of the cottage in the sale. Some of those contents are mine. And third, I am simply not interested in selling my share, for a lot of reasons.

I also have an idea about solving this without lawyers and the court.
All we have to do is sit down and talk about it. That is,or course, if we all want to.

Gosh, what a way to destroy a family!

Much love,

Aunt Jo

Mothers position from the very beginning was she had no desire to sell her share,was pleased with the way shared ownership had worked, and wished to continue with that idea. She also was very clear about keeping the channel of communications open and had requested on several occasions to all concerned the need to sit down and discuss these issues. Never did she get a response to those requests, Never!

This was the way David choose to communicate:

Click to enlarge

Clearly he had no intent to discuss any options, in his mind there was one option and only one, he was going to get the cottage come hell or high water. And don't get in his way, it could prove to be expensive and nasty.

Coming soon Lets dumb down the cottage, lets make it appear like a standing pile of rotted wood, infested with rodents, a land lock piece of land with no access to the lake. And lets present it in the fashion of a 7th grade history project!


Anonymous said...

This is so very sad. Mrs. Lee expresses openness and a willingness to sit down and talk. David, who when his very first proposal was not accepted, immediately commences litigation. Not cool.

Not feeling too sorry here for Stu and Kathi- they wanted out anyway.

For Josephine, my heart aches.

PS: Where's the actual complaint?

Anonymous said...

Note to Lakesiders: Please invite the Lee family up often to visit!

Anonymous said...

It does seem like this was about something much more than the cottage, as Mrs. Lee surmised.

What was up David's butt? Will anyone really ever know?

Also-- what has the response been from David's children? Did they get involved in this at all? Were they supporting this lunacy, or were they detached from it?

Anonymous said...

Lets keep this lawsuit quiet. Ha big joke in todays world david slymons. Why we can tell what your children are up to. Tisk,tisk. You should be ashamed at your kids. Oh wait your doing the same sneaky shit too

Anonymous said...

Kathi must be a real bitch. I'm sure she told stu to sell out at any cost. I wish Mrs. Lee contacted stu before david did then it would have been really interesting but the only thing kathi could see were designer purses and a new bmw. Coming from trailer trash to big money. Oh how money changes people.

Katy Elizabeth said...

Lol, I'm surprised to see some of these comments still on the message board, Mr Administrator.... lol

too funny.

As for the emails... Even if Stu and Kathi wanted "one more summer," wouldn't he have thought that even if he wanted just "one more summer," that it would probably be more appropriate to bring up his 'wanting out' sooner than last minute? It just seems to me that he's just as nasty as David.

Seems to me like Stu and David started talking about this LONG before the Lee's and Katy were brought into it.
...which is probably where David got his balls from. He had Stu and Kathi backing him.

What a goon.